Eligibility requirements for this postdoctoral fellowship are as follows:
- Postdoctoral applicants should have no more than one year of postdoctoral research experience at the time of the deadline for submitting applications (February 1).
- PhD. degree must not have been conferred more than 18 months prior to the deadline date (February 1)
- MD. degree should not have been conferred more than three years before deadline date of application (February 1)
- PhD. candidates that do not have their degree at time of application deadline (February 1) are eligible to apply. If awarded, the applicant’s PhD. degree must be conferred prior to the start of the Fellowship.
If February 1 falls on a Saturday or Sunday the application due date will be the following Monday.
The appointment will be for three years. The Fund recognizes that in some instances there may be valid reasons for changing both laboratory and sponsor during the course of your fellowship. Such changes require the permission of the Director with the advice of the Board of Scientific Advisers.
Applicants may be citizens of any country, but for foreign nationals awards will be made only for study in the United States. American citizens may hold a fellowship either in the United States or in a foreign country.
An applicant, in addition to submitting evidence as to pre and postdoctoral training, must supply the following:
- the names and addresses of three individuals personally acquainted both with the applicant and with the applicants professional work, one of whom is to be the principal predoctoral advisor,
- in addition to the three references a letter from the Sponsor is required
- a suitably documented outline of the research problem proposed, and
- the written consent of the Chair of the Department and a responsible fiscal officer of the host institution indicating their willingness to accept and provide necessary facilities for the Fellow (Signature form). (Please note that in the event of multiple applications, it is the policy of the Fund to initiate no more than one fellowship under a particular sponsor in any fiscal year)
Stipend & Expenses
The basic stipend is $52,000 for the first year, $54,000 for the second year, and $56,000 the third year, with an additional $1000 for each dependent child. There is no dependency allowance for a spouse.
An allowance of $2,000 a year toward the cost of the research will be made available to the laboratory sponsoring the fellow. The research allowance is not to be used for travel.
The Fellow will have access to $1,800 for travel to science meetings, please look at the travel policy. In addition to the travel allowance the Fund provides a travel award for the Fellow and their family to travel to the sponsoring laboratory.
The Jane Coffin Childs Memorial Fund for Medical Research is a non-profit organization that currently awards fellowships to suitably qualified applicants for full-time training. Since its inception in 1937, the Fund has not provided indirect costs as a matter of policy.
Child Care Funding for Female Fellows
In 2008 The Joan A. Steitz Fund of the Community Foundation for Greater New Haven was established as an Endowed Designated Fund for the benefit of Jane Coffin Childs Memorial Fund for Medical Research to provide stipends for child care to women who are recipients of a Jane Coffin Childs post-doctoral fellowship.
There is no application or paperwork due on the part of the female Fellow. The income from this Fund is sent to the Jane Coffin Childs Memorial Fund annually. The Jane Coffin Childs Fund identifies the female fellows that have children and a distribution is made. The dollar amount of the distribution to each female fellow is determined by the amount of funds received and the number of female fellows with children.